Letter to the Editor

October 20, 2018

Editorial Page Editor
Mail Online
P.O. Box L1T5A4
Ajax, GTA.
Ontario, Canada.

To the Editor:

I am writing to respond to your article: Twtr? It's majorly bad! Leading headteacher condemns 'text speaking' for eroding schoolchildren's' language skills. 


Let's face it! There are many opinions and perspectives on every topic in the world; specifically, the topic 'text speaking'. Some for it, and some against. It is clear in your article that you are 100% against 'text speaking' as you believe that it's "eroding schoolchildren's language skills. 
Throughout the article, you have mentioned some very crucial points - that I completely agree with. However, there are instances in the article where I disagree with what was written; you could say that I agree with your opinion to some extent. 

In the third paragraph of your article, you mention that 'text speaking' is a 'danger' to youngsters, as it causes them to grow up with 'limited vocabulary'. However, are you aware of the fact that texting could be seen as a language itself? It has its own words, and structure that needs to be followed when texting. These endangered 'youngsters' you speak of, are in fact learning a variety of new words every day; different words to express different emotions quickly and effectively through text. To me, it seems like you were referring to a category of more complex jargon; which I find greatly unnecessary. Simplicity is the key. Simple words with simple meanings, in order to avoid confusion, lying and manipulation. So who cares if a couple of high school students don't know what the word Deleterious means; they still have their own simpler way fo saying it with the same effect. So why the great concern here? 

Aside from the previous point; I do agree with you in one situation. In the 6th paragraph, you talk about how formal and appropriate language is still a necessary skill, the example you used, in interviews. I see what you are saying, and I understand that due to the competitiveness of this world, it is important to give yourself a boost which can only be done through your language. 

In my opinion, 'text speaking' is completely appropriate, but only in certain situations. I do feel strongly that people should be able to speak formally and more professionally in cases where they are expected to act more put together such as an interview, teaching, business....etc. However, I do not agree that texting is destroying or how you put it, eroding language. In fact, I think that it is growing English, and is even improving peoples minds, as they are...you could say, bilingual, as 'text speaking' is something completely different compared to regular speech. Would you agree with this? 

 
Sincerely, 








Comments

Popular Posts