Interview: "BEYONCÉ IS A RARITY. SO WHEN SHE SPEAKS, WE LISTEN.



If Beyonce stops using her voice to bless our ears, she can always use them to stand up to black oppression. It's clear that Beyonce is a powerful voice for Black Lives Matter, and though there have to be a few haters, she is definitely still leaving her mark in the history of Music. When Beyonce speaks, people listen, with over 118 million followers, it seemed unreal when she walked into my office, her Tom Ford wedges loud with confidence and authority. Her sharp crimson red Dsquared2 blazer paired simply with J Brand leather leggings gave me some sort of reason to calm down, I mean, its just Beyonce. She pulls on her zebra print Alexander McQueen clutch and pushed her statement shades up into her hair. She continues to pour herself a glass of water "You want flawless skin? Drink water."

Unless you don't have access to the internet.. actually, no excuses, you should know that the Queen B, just released her new album "lemonade", and its an understatement to say that it broke the internet. "This album was more than just an album, there was definitely a lot of emotion involved in its creation."

If you listen to the album, it is clear that the first topic that comes to mind would be infidelity. Of course, this is no surprise as many songs these days are about sex, money, and drugs - so it's no surprise if the message is somewhere in there. However, our girl isn't that shallow.
"Ya, totally, I mean the majority of people think that the album relates around infidelity or other things under that umbrella, but the purpose of this album was to shine a light on the experiences of black women. I mean, let's be real, there is discrimination against blacks and discrimination amongst gender. Being a black woman in America is difficult...you know, I... I quoted Malcolm X in the feature film, on what he said about black women, describing them as "the most disrespected person in America." I can 100% agree with him on that. In today's world, the only African Americans respected are singers, rappers, you know, all entertainers. Why is that?"

One thing about the singer and media mogul is not just her huge online following, but how she uses that platform and her art to address racial inequality, especially in the wake of police-involved deaths of black men and women that have dominated headlines in the recent years. "even the title of the album is, in my perspective, showing the resistance of black women and their increasing persistence on a daily basis. I got the name form my husband's grandmother, who, I'm pretty sure was at her 90th birthday party, said: " I was given lemons, and I made lemonade". I know it's a very common phrase, but said coming out of the mouth of a person that has seen both the good and the bad showed me the real meaning behind that, and I don't think that any other title for the album would have been appropriate.









Comments

Popular Posts